Monday, May 13, 2013

Pretend Play

As we speak, Luke and I are outside playing restraunt with his Little Tikes grill set. I'm obviously half way playing (bad mom) as I write this.

I am the customer. He is the chef. What a great opportunity to learn about making healthy food choices! We've done this a lot, but I never really thought much of it. I'm just a teacher at heart and usually weave lessons into our play time.

I asked him for a menu of his healthier choices. He obliged by drawing a full stay of weird combinations five year olds think of:
Veggie pizza with a fried egg
Butternut squash with a hamburger patty
Hot tea, water, or coffee to drink

Weird, but healthy. He even offers me a gluten free cookie. Sweet boy knows Mommy can't have gluten.

So maybe next time you're playing together, throw a lesson in with it. Kids learn my modeling behaviors. Its important they learn the right ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment