Monday, May 6, 2013

Homemade Bath Products

It all started with a little "Secret". For years I've heard rumors, as maybe you have, that commercial body deodorants are full of nasty chemicals. Finally, a couple weeks ago I looked at the ingredients list. Well hell. I didn't know what any of it was. And still I do not.

Honestly, that's enough for me to act on. I don't like not knowing what I'm getting in the products I buy and use. So what began with cleaner eating has now gushed over to my bathroom. I'm experimenting with more natural, simple bath and body products.

Your skin is the largest body organ. It's designed to protect your innards (LOL) by keeping bad things out. Think radiation from the sun...it also allows good things to enter. Maybe enough sunshine to produce Vitamin D or minerals from sea water. Unfortunately it seems I've been assaulting my system with a bazillion chemicals, many considered carcinogens. Whatever sits on the skin soaks in. Not good in many instances.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's over and done with for me and soon for my family. Right now I'm experimenting with homemade deodorant, the no shampoo method of hair washing, and a batch of freshly made toothpaste.

I truly thought I'd end up being the the stinky, greasy chick and run back to my store bought products quickly. I'm a week into using my own deodorant and shunning shampoo. It seems I'm socially acceptable still on the cleanliness scale. Tonight was my first use of homemade toothpaste and my mouth is dancing as we speak.

I'm looking forward to tinkering with my recipes and soon will introduce them to my familia.

Why? I trust myself and my motives over a corporation any day. My interest is my family's well being and not profit. Plus, it's fun! Well, it is to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment