Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Yoga for Yours

Could your children benefit from practicing yoga at home?

I've tinkered with yoga myself. I've yet to attend a formal class, but have a book of poses and a DVD to follow. Every now and then I get an urge to do it- usually when I'm feeling tense or stressed. It seems to cure me every time.

Thanks to us parents and our culture, kids live a pretty stressful life these days too. In every facet of school there's pressure to perform in testing. I even have to administer a state test to my P.E. students- Good Grief. (Note: I understand why it's required, but it doesn't really encourage the concept of fitness through fun.)

Then in order to better our kids and give them opportunity to play, we drive them to an assortment of practices four days a week. We encourage them to pick one sport or activity at age 7 to focus on earning a scholarship. But do your homework as we carpool to the soccer tournament because you've gotta keep your grades up. Pressure. Pressure. Pressure.

All these things are done by us with the best of intentions. We love them and want for them to be successful. But maybe we are putting too much on them. Maybe time spent at home exploring a variety of activities in a relaxed environment two nights a week would be better than private lessons with a pitching coach.

Yoga is known for its calming, relaxing, focus enhancing effects. My son is five and tends to be high strung. He's a natural worrier with a tender heart. I believe he might benefit from a couple informal home yoga sessions per week.

Perhaps your family too could use a few minutes to just be. Ten minutes of simple poses just might make a world of difference!

Later y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment